05 February 2008

5th of February

It is early morning, sometime just before 5. I am awake and in my bed, in my room, next door to the kitchen. The room has one window, located to the right of the bed, there are roses below the window - of course covered with snow during this season.
I can see through the open door, across the hall, reaching as far as to the closed door to the other room. The light is on in there, can see it below the door.


Something woke me up - a ringing phone.


It is early morning on the 5th of February 1988 and my grandmother just passed away at an "early" age. It has been 20 years now and I am surprised that I still remember the details. Since I can still remember what the room (my room) looked like together with the rest of the apartment. 

Fine, you usually remember places you have lived in for quite some time - but: 
1) I was not that old back then; 
2) I moved a lot when I grew up (8 places in 9 years); 
3) I don't remember that much of the other places I stayed in.

*virtual candle for my long lost grandmother*

No comments: